Ghost Rock Wines was established by Cate and Colin Arnold in 2001 on a run-down property just East of Devonport, with only a handful of vines. Fast forward to 2015, Cate and Colin’s son Justin and his wife Alicia joined the business, taking on full ownership in 2017. Justin and Alicia run the operation together, responsible for the winemaking and running of the Cellar Door and Eatery respectively.


So the story goes.. there once was a hill just west of the Summerhill Park turnoff on the Port Sorell Main Road. There was a steep pinch where horses slowed and cyclists were obliged to dismount and walk. The hill received its name last century because of events claimed to have occurred around a large rock situated beside the road. Several versions of the name’s origin have appeared, perhaps each version being somewhat embellished. But the following is vouched for by elderly residents.

Mr. Lou Wilson was approaching the area on horseback about 1895 on the way to Northdown Post Office to post a letter to his lady love. From behind the rock appeared some white-clad ‘ghosts’ which caused him and his mount sufficient fright for him to abandon the errand and swiftly return home to Larooma. From then on it became a popular local larrikin prank to bait other riders approaching the locality.” 

The rock has since been obliterated and the gradient reduced by road realignment in the 1950’s.

The name encompasses a sense of fun and regionality, keeping alive local history and infusing a sense of personality!